Definitely a post for ladies only today! So ladies: Grab a cup of tea and sit with me while I share a little of what I've learned with you guys!
Have you ever seen a sweet house, the kind you roll past and think, "ooh! that's pretty!" but on second look, something seemed off, the windows were a tad too far to the right, or the door was at a strange angle? Like the structure wasn't quite built properly? Guess what girl, that happens with outfits too!
So yes! Today I wanted to stress to you just how important it is to find a properly fitting bra!
Before I officially opened my business, I really got into studying practical fashion:i.e.body types, shapes, etc. So I took a leap and stepped into a lingerie store for the first time to get fitted for a "big girl" bra. I took a leap of faith, not knowing where else to go, and stepped into the local Victoria's Secrets. Although the store really scared me at first (I grew up a homeschool, very modest girl), a friendly face greeted me. The woman who fitted me was named Sandra and that one little fact really helped break the ice! She took a couple measurements and asked what exactly I was looking for and I literally just said: "Teach me!"
So she took a couple measurements, and explained to me the importance of getting fitted: both for support and comfort. A good fitting bra should have 80% of the support coming from the band, yes, 80%! Which leaves only 20% of support coming from your straps. If you depend too much on your straps for support, it puts too much stress on your shoulders, a huge "Ah Ha!" moment for me!
Sandra also explained to me that you want to go in fairly often to get fitted as most women's weight often goes up and down. Usually its nothing major, but over time, if you loose 4 pounds every 6 months it starts to add up quickly and changes your size! For me, I go in to get fitted about once a year unless I notice that my weight has changed quite a bit. For example, About two years ago, I was at a 34D but as I lost weight (unfortunately a bit of muscle too), I went down to a 32 band, which changed how my cups fit, pushing my cup size up to a DD!
Another thing I was initially scared of was the infamous push up bra! Sandra introduced me to the idea of a light push up bra to give me support at work and it CHANGED my life! Being larger in the chest, I feel very self conscious about my chest bounce as I walk. The little bit of padding in the demi push up she gave me brought an immediate confidence boost in going to work as well as everyday life!
Lastly, I noticed a difference IMMEDIATELY with how my top fit! Suddenly my chest fit perfectly into the darts already sewn in my shirt! It made a huge difference in balancing out my proportions.
So, perhaps you're a little bit more shy and need somewhere a little less "out-there" than Victora's Secrets to get fitted.
Quite a few department stores offer fittings, so you might either give them a call or stop by to see if, or when they could fit you for a bra. My personal favorite place to pick up a few bras is Soma! They may not have as many "fun" things to try on but I've found the staff at my local store to be more professional and a lot more attentive to my needs than any other store I've been in! I've actually made friends with the staff at my local store and they love to recommend me for people needing alterations!
Another plus is their "vanishing edge" undergarments which is what actually drew in to begin with! I hope to review them soon for you lovely ladies but I hate to admit that project runway and another cup of hot tea is calling to me!
Have you ever been fitted for a bra? Why or why not? Do you think, if you haven't been fitted, do you think you could work up the courage for me? Promise its worth it!