Sunday, January 15, 2017

Man's Word over God's

Life Update!

I've been away for so long, it seems as though so much has happened to me and my journey!

As both a blogger as well as a blog reader, I know how easy it is to read post after post and absorb all kinds of useful and fun information and forget that there's a real person behind all of those words on a computer screen.

The whole purpose of this blog is to take you on a journey with a real person, with real struggles in addition to real victories. 

Today I wanted to dedicate some time to share with you one of my struggles as well as one of my victories.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Have you ever read the book, "I Kissed Dating Goodbye?" It's a great book with a lot of good points, but now that I've been through a little bit more of life, I've learned it's not one I would recommend off the bat. 

In high school, I read the self-same book and it, in turn, formed all of my ideas of dating. I firmly believed that no one was to date until they became self-sufficient and could support a family. Originally, it was a great book and I was very glad that I never dated in high school. For me, I can say with certainty, it would have been a disaster! 

Unfortunately, I took this book, written by man, as gospel. I applied a fallen man's words to everyone and thus I lost a friend who had started dating. At that time though, I was firmly convinced that dating before marriage was a possibility was wrong. So even though it hurt to lose my very best friend, I was in the right! After all, it's wrong to date before marriage-age, right? 

After years of being convinced in my own mind, the Lord began a work in me. I was able to watch a few of the people I had grown up with fall in love and eventually get married. Each story began and unfolded in its own time. Every love story was beautiful, and each story unfolded at the perfect time. Imagine, even those I deemed "wrong" came out beautifully. Was I wrong? Could it be okay to date/court (whichever each couple deems appropriate) before marriageable age? 

Fast forward just a few months.

With all of these questions flying around my mind, I was invited by friends to go to a back to school dance. 

For weeks I waited and waited, hoping against hope that some kind young man would ask if I could go with him. To my disappointment, I was never asked. Instead, I found out that a guy in our little group of friends had been skipped over in the general invitation to this dance. So with a little advice from a friend, I got a hold of him and asked if he would like to possibly be my date to the dance. To my surprise, he said yes, and away we went! 

Chris and I at a Porsche event months after the back to school dance.

Over a year later, Chris (the guy I asked to the dance) and I are dating. For a while I wasn't sure what to do. I liked him and he appeared to be interested in me. After reading my Bible, praying and talking to my parents, I was able to come to the conclusion that God writes each person's love story differently and while some are perhaps a bit longer than others, I believe He knows His plan and that each of His children's plans are different. 

Even with this conflicted start to Chris' and my relationship, I firmly believe this is where I am meant to be. I don't know yet if we are supposed to be together forever, and that's okay. Neither of us are ready for marriage, but we are getting to know each other both in family settings as well as dates with friends and one-on-one. 

Whether you believe you are going to wait until marrying age to date, or if you are praying to decide if dating in high school is what the Lord is calling you to, keep in mind that the Lord knows His plans for you. In the end, take His word, and ONLY His word as your truth. He will guide you, if you completely give Him your heart. I promise.

By the way, that friend, I pushed away when I took man's word as my guide. She's now engaged to the wonderful man of God she had started dating in high school and they have one of the most beautiful love stories I've ever heard. 

@ndr@ K.